In these grey days of January we look for anything and everything to add a little brightness to our days. One thing that always makes us feel lighter and brighter is sending and receiving thank you notes. Of course, we mean handwritten thank you notes.
Saying thank you is so important and saying it via a handwritten note always makes a big impact. We've all been taught that writing a thank you note is part of having good manners, but did you know that simply writing a thank you note increases feelings of gratitude, optimism and happiness?
We write thank you notes whenever we receive a gift, but we also make sure to write notes of thanks to hostesses, employees doing an extra great job, and friends who we appreciate just because they are who they are.
Reading this article about a man who sent a thank you note for every day of the year left us inspired. This year we plan to write more than you notes than ever before. We want to spread gratitude, cheer, and save the handwritten note all at the same time. Will you join us?!
Sunny days and cooler nights, changing leaves, and football Saturdays all mean one thing - fall is here! And with fall comes all things pumpkin! Our obsession with pumpkin is not new or unique, but we can't help ourselves! Based on how much all of our wonderful customers love pumpkins too, we know we're not alone. If you're looking for some pumpkin decor for your home, RPS has you covered! We've restocked our favorite pumpkin candles, we have stuffed pumpkins, and even chalkboard pumpkins. We've also been eating all things pumpkin, like these Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins. These muffins taste great with a cup of coffee, our kids love having them for breakfast, and they make a nice something sweet to serve at tailgates. We hope you'll make them at home and share them with your pumpkin-loving friends and family.
Ingredients: Filling: 8 oz. of softened cream cheese 1 cup powdered sugar Muffins: 3 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour 1 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice 1 tsp. ground cinnamon 1 tsp. ground nutmeg 1 tsp. ground cloves 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. baking soda 4 large eggs 2 cups sugar 2 cups pumpkin puree 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil To make the filling, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl. Blend or mix until smooth. Place the bowl in the fridge to chill while you make the muffin batter. To make the muffins, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your muffin pan. (In this case we used the beautiful Juliska Berry & Thread muffin baker.) In a medium bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and baking soda. Mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and vegetable oil. Stir until well blended. Add in the dry mixture and mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. To assemble the muffins, put a small amount of batter into the muffin cup (about 2 tablespoons). Next, put in a small spoonful of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat this process until all of the cream cheese mixture is used. Then go back and cover the cream cheese mixture with the rest of the batter. Each muffin cup should be filled to just below the top, and the cream cheese mixture should be completely covered. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the center of the oven, then allow muffins to coolbefore serving.
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Rock Paper Scissors has joined other local Ann Arbor businesses to support the Think Pink Go Blue fundraising efforts. At RPS, we've custom designed these empowering, pink greeting cards and are donating 50% of the sale of each card sold.
Think Pink Go Blue raises funds for education, research, and treatment at the U of M Breast Care Center. Last year the U of M Breast Care Center had more than 4, 400 visits and more than 1,000 surgical cases. They are the leaders and the best in breast care treatment and many different clinical trials are available for patients in all stages of treatment and survivorship. Why do we feel that it's important to give back and participate in Think Pink Go Blue!? We never take for granted that we have the amazing University of Michigan medical system in our backyard and we all know someone who has been touched in some way by breast cancer. We feel to thankful to be a part of the Ann Arbor community and are excited to give back through the sale of these greeting cards. Help us support the breast cancer healthcare professionals and the strong and brave patients and survivors!
Do you love October as much as we do? We're getting the store Halloween ready! Come in and check out all of our new items that will help you celebrate this month of ghosts, goblins, and pumpkins!
These tote bags are much more festive than plastic pumpkins
We might like handwritten Halloween notes better than candy.
Write your favorite spooky saying on this chalkboard pumpkin!
Nobody is too young to celebrate Halloween - dress your little one as a ghost or pumpkin!
1) Where are you from? Goodrich, MI
2) Why did you want to work at Rock Paper Scissors and why do you love working here? I wanted to work at RPS because I loved the store's unique style. I love when I walk into a place and can instantly find the perfect gifts - stationery, MI pencils, perfume, cocktail mixer - for my friends and family. I have so much pride being a part of the RPS team because I'm always hearing from people in Ann Arbor that RPS is their go to shop! Plus, I get a kick out of helping people find their perfect gift or home accessory. 3) What’s your favorite card in the store and why? "Hold me closer tiny donuts" is my favorite card. I'm a fan of Elton John as well as donuts in any variety so this card is a win-win for me.
4) What’s your favorite gift in the store and why? My favorite gift in the store is the Rifle Paper Company stationery. Stationery is a perfect gift for any number of occasions - new job, new home, just married, starting school - you name it! Plus, RPC always has really beautiful unique prints and quality paper.
5) Besides RPS what’s your favorite local Ann Arbor business and why? After RPS, my favorite store in A2 is Literati hands down. Even with computers/phones being so accessible, there's just something really satisfying about turning a page of a book. I could spend hours digging around in their shelves. Come to think of it, I'm sure I have...
6) Is there anything ridiculous you want the people of Ann Arbor to know? I don't know how ridiculous this is, but I'm training for the Detroit marathon this October. It'll be my first marathon and I can't wait! In addition to being an Elton John fan and running A LOT, Taylor also happens to be a master builder. Check back later this week to find out what architectural masterpiece Taylor has built at RPS.
Designing a nursery space can be so much fun and a great way to stay occupied while waiting for baby to arrive. We've already featured some of our favorite pink and blue baby gifts and nursery decor, but today we're inspired by neutrals. Are you keeping your baby's gender a surprise? Are you designing a nursery space that needs to work for multiple children? Are you uninspired by pink and blue? If any of this applies to you then we suggest considering our favorite neutral - gray! We really love gray and how it can be cozy and casual or elegant and sophisticated. It's a great neutral that can mix and match with your other favorite colors and grow with your child as they go from a tiny newborn into a child who has their own opinions about which colors are the best.
Featured in this photo: Noah's Ark Art Print by Rifle Paper Co. - one of many Rifle Paper Co art prints that are ideal for a nursery Alphabet Baby Blanket by Pehr Designs - let this blanket keep your little one cozy and help them learn their letters at the same time "Hello Darling" Wall Decor by Sugarboo Designs - Sugarboo wall signs are beautiful in a nursery and sophisticated enough for a big kid room "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" Wall Decor by Mudpie - a gentle reminder for a sweet bedtime Elephant Baby Bath Wrap - dry off your little one and make them look adorable with this bath wrap Engraved Frame from Mariposa - Mariposa frames can be engraved with any name, date, phrase, or monogram - we love the sweetness of this "Mommy & Me" engraving Little Giraffe Blanket - the coziest, softest blankets around