Valentine's day is almost here! We're ready to help you celebrate your first crush, the love of your life, or your favorite friend. Stop by on Valentine's Day and grab this adorable crate that includes a card, chocolate chip sea salt cookies from Avalon Bakery, a succulent, and a bouquet from University Flower Shop.
We'd also love to help you put together the perfect gift that your special someone will use well past Valentine's Day. We have lots of pink and red, but we can come up with a lovely gift in any color scheme! Visit us tomorrow during our extended hours , 10am-7pm, and let us help you share the love!
In these grey days of January we look for anything and everything to add a little brightness to our days. One thing that always makes us feel lighter and brighter is sending and receiving thank you notes. Of course, we mean handwritten thank you notes.
Saying thank you is so important and saying it via a handwritten note always makes a big impact. We've all been taught that writing a thank you note is part of having good manners, but did you know that simply writing a thank you note increases feelings of gratitude, optimism and happiness?
We write thank you notes whenever we receive a gift, but we also make sure to write notes of thanks to hostesses, employees doing an extra great job, and friends who we appreciate just because they are who they are.
Reading this article about a man who sent a thank you note for every day of the year left us inspired. This year we plan to write more than you notes than ever before. We want to spread gratitude, cheer, and save the handwritten note all at the same time. Will you join us?!
- More workshops - We're excited to learn new skills including wreath making and the basics of calligraphy. Registration information will be on our website soon!
- Lots of visits to Avalon Cafe & Kitchen - Have you been to downtown Ann Arbor's newest coffee shop and cafe? If not, we suggest you visit Avalon soon and enjoy their coffee, cocktails, and delicious baked goods.
- More coffee, please! We're excited to have Avalon join the neighborhood, but we will surely continue to visit other local favorites including Roos Roast, Mighty Good, and Literati Coffee. We can never get enough local coffee.
- Giving presents to our favorite babies and kids - We continue to fill the store with more and more adorable baby and kid items perfect for baby showers, birthdays, holidays, or just to tell your favorite little one that they're doing a great job!
- Wearing Bourbon & Boweties bracelets - Were you lucky enough to receive a Bourbon & Boweties bracelet in your stocking this Christmas? Some of us were and we can't wait to wear them all through 2017. This bracelet line, handmade in Florida, is one of our favorite new additions to the store. There's a color and style for everyone and we love to stack them.
- Ann Arbor Summer Festival - This cold, grey weather has us dreaming of warm summer days. We're excited for picnic dinners while listening to music at Top of the Park and movies under the stars.
- Art Fair! The craziness of the holiday season may just have ended, but we're already excited for the hustle and bustle of Art Fair.
- Reading more books - At our recent staff holiday party almost all of us agreed that we want to read more in 2017. Whether it be novels, short stories, or non-fiction, we want to fill our bookshelves and make reading everyday a priority. Have a great book recommendation? Let us know!
- Shopping local! The selection of local items in Ann Arbor continues to grow. Whether it be produce from the farmers market, books from Literati, or makeup from Lily Grace, we love supporting other local businesses.
- Trying new places - we love being out and about trying new restaurants, bars, and activities. If you have a recommendation of somewhere we should check out, let us know!
- A Bunny Brunch! We had SO much fun celebrating Christmas with a North Pole Breakfast at RPS, that we're planning on a Bunny Brunch at RPS to celebrate Easter. Keep checking the website for registration details and get ready to dress your little ones up in their best pastels for a adorable, kid-friendly morning.
- Getting outside - With over 150 parks in Ann Arbor and the beautiful Huron River we're looking forward to spending time appreciating all the recreation opportunities in our city.
- Giving back to our community - the amazing work done by doctors and nurses at Mott hospital means the world to us and we look forward to another year of supporting Mott through the Event on Main.
- Sending more snail mail - Every year we make it a point to send more mail. Birthday? Send a card! Anniversary? Send a card! Tough Tuesday? Send a card! With fun new cards from Tiramisu Paperie, Tay Ham, Ink Meets Paper, and many, many more there's a card for absolutely everyone you know.
- Practicing our handlettering skills...and lots of practice is required for a few of us! Our first handlettering workshop back in the fall was so fun that we've planned more workshops for 2017 and will be announcing details soon.
- Being inspired - we talk with interesting people every day and surround ourselves with creative designers to contribute products to our store, all of whom inspire us to be more creative ourselves.
- Celebrating our customers! This is the most important item on the list since all of you guys rock! We appreciate each and every person who comes into Rock Paper Scissors.
When you love Christmas as much as we do, you look for ways to celebrate with everyone you know, young and old. Earlier this month we hosted a North Pole Breakfast at Rock Paper Scissors for some of our youngest customers and friends. It's hard to describe just how much FUN was had by all! The RPS Elves worked hard to turn the store into a place of Christmas wonder. Over 50 kids, dressed in Christmas pajamas, enjoyed hot chocolate and pancakes while their parents (and sometimes grandparents, too) enjoyed Mrs. Claus's coffee and mimosas. The kids also made reindeer food to take home and sprinkle on their lawn on Christmas Eve. They made picture frames and colored in Santa's workshop, they wrote letters to Santa, they enjoyed story time with Jilly the Elf, and they took photos in our Santa's village photo booth.
We cannot wait for next year's North Pole Breakfast, but in the meantime we have several other kids events planned. Keep checking the blog and website for more info!
If you attended our Friendsgiving event last Thursday you might have sampled our favorite Thanksgiving appetizer - pumpkin brie! We love how quick and easy this recipe is and that it contains wonderful fall flavors. If you're looking for a very last minute appetizer, bring this to your Thanksgiving celebration and let the compliments roll in!
1 sheet puff pastry dough
1 round Brie cheese
1/3 cup pumpkin butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans (plus a few whole pecans for decoration)
Allow puff pastry dough to thaw some. While still cold, roll out the puff pastry dough until it's large enough to wrap around the Brie. Place pecans and pumpkin butter in the center of the dough. Place the Brie directly on top of the pecans and pumpkin. Wrap the dough around and pinch all the edges to make sure everything is sealed inside. Use a little water on the edges if you need to. Flip the whole bundle over so that the edges and on the bottom.
Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown. Serve right away, while still warm, with crackers and pumpkin chips.
*Note: we recommend baking Pumpkin Brie in a pie plate so that the cheese is contained when it oozes out of the puff pastry dough :)
Everyone at RPS wishes you a bountiful and joyful Thanksgiving!
It's Thanksgiving week! We're not sure how time flew so fast to get us here already, but we're happy that it's time to celebrate one of our favorite holidays!
If you are hosting Thanksgiving at your home this year you're probably busy making shopping lists, setting out your favorite serving dishes, and cleaning every little nook. If you're heading elsewhere for Thanksgiving you may be thinking about what hostess gift to bring to express your thankfulness that somebody else is doing all of that cooking and cleaning. Let us help with those Thanksgiving hostess gifts! We're highlighting some of our favorite ideas here:
Every hostess needs extra serving pieces!
Candles make every celebration, including Thanksgiving, a little brighter!
Keep the little ones entertained while their mom and dad prep the feast with these adorable turkey themed gifts!
We hope that you'll stop by to see us today, Tuesday, or Wednesday and let us help you pick out the perfect gift! Gobble Gobble!