So, meet Molly...
Whether she’s developing new fonts for her Great Lakes Lettering collaboration with designer Dathan Boardman, beautifully lettering store and event signage (like the Rock Paper Scissors store signage in Ann Arbor & Tecumseh) or leading calligraphy workshops across the US, Molly Jacques Erickson is one of the most popular typographical artists in the country. Molly's lettering & calligraphy can be found on some of our favorite things, from Sugar Paper cards to Smock wedding invitations, and in publications like Martha Stewart Weddings, Everyday with Rachel Ray, Style Me Pretty, & Anthology. And be still our hearts, she's a Michigander! We were thrilled when she agreed to do our signage in 2012, but last month we were SO pumped when she agreed to answer our RPS Designer Profile questions. Guys, she's really the best.
1. What's the name of your brand/company? Molly Jacques Illustration
2. What has been your favorite project you’ve worked on? My favorite project, hands down, is working on fonts. When I create a font, I get to express myself in a way that I can't when creating client work.
3. If you had to tattoo one word on your body, what word would you choose? Mmm... tough question. You'd think that because I love words, I'd want them tattooed all over but I'm really picky when it comes to something that I'd carry for life. Perhaps I'd get my husband's name tattooed over my heart? Sappy. I know, I know.
4. What’s your signature cocktail? Dirty martini
5. Stripes or polka dots? Stripes
6. What song is on repeat on your iTunes right now? Literally, I went into my iTunes to find my most played song. Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron and Wine.
7. If you had to describe your work/style in three words, what would those words be? My work is modern, detailed, and distinctive.
8. If you could have a weird Freaky Friday experience for a day, which designer would you want to switch bodies with and why? Probably my pal David Nickless. He's a shoe designer for Vans...pretty sweet, right?
9. What advice would you give to 20 year old you? Don't put limits on what you think you can do. Don't be afraid because nothing is permanent.
10. If we challenged you to a game of rock, paper, scissors, which would you choose? Why? Paper. It seems a bit funny, you know, since I'm a calligrapher and all...
Ahh! Stripes, Iron & Wine and Dirty Martinis?! She's our kind of girl! A big thanks to Molly Jacques Erickson for taking the time to answer our questions!
If you want to be inspired, I mean truly inspired, check out Molly's instagram and pinterest at @mollyjacques or her website mollyjacquesillustration.com
! Interested in learning calligraphy? Check out one of her workshops, here
. And, the next time you're in the store, see if you can pick out the signage Molly did for us! **Hint, hint. They are "Our Favorite Things".