· By 2
Celebrate Everything- National Hot Cocoa Day!
Today is a holiday I can get behind; it's National Hot Cocoa Day! As the temperatures in Michigan climb to a balmy 15 degrees, I can only hope that people are cuddled up on their comfy couches in front of a fire and either Home Alone, Love Actually, Serendipity, or The Holiday on TV as they sip the most amazing hot cocoa. Today, and all days, for that matter, my hot cocoa has a bit of peppermint schnapps, tons of whipped cream (homemade of course) and a fun peppermint crunch garnish of some sort. [caption id="attachment_462" align="aligncenter" width="344"] This jolly mug is the perfect size for your Candy Crunch or Double Chocolate Hammonds cocoa AND whipped cream or marshmallows![/caption] As you decide which cup of cocoa you're going to create, we'll leave you with a few fun facts!
- There IS a difference between Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate! Hot chocolate is made directly from bar chocolate, which already contains cocoa, sugar and cocoa butter. Hot cocoa is made from powder made by extracting most of the rich cocoa butter from the ground cacao beans.
- Aztec Emperor Montezuma drank 50 golden goblets of hot cocoa, dyed red and flavored with chili peppers, every day. How's that for a diet?
- Hot Cocoa was known in the 15th century as "the inflamer of passions." Whoo woooo!
- January 31st is National Hot Chocolate Day. You can celebrate both, even though we're on "Team Hot Cocoa."
- In France, Hot Cocoa was used to cure fits of anger & bad moods. I'll report back and let you know if it works in 2013 in Michigan.
- Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa was first served by airlines in 1955.
- Hot Cocoa has fewer calories than Hot Chocolate.